A nationally acclaimed trial attorney, Tom is the founder of Gibbons Legal, P.C., where he’s the firm’s managing partner and lead trial attorney.
Locally, Tom has been recognized as one of the Top 10 personal injury attorneys in Pennsylvania by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, and the American Jurist Institute. SuperLawyers consistently ranks him among the top 2.5% of all Pennsylvania attorneys younger than 40, and the National League of Renowned Attorneys has ranked him in the top 1% of all Pennsylvania attorneys.
Nationally, Tom has been recognized as one of the top 40 attorneys younger than 40 by the National Trial Lawyers, and as one of the top 100 attorneys of all ages by America’s Top 100 Attorneys and the American Academy of Trial Attorneys. The Distinguished Justice Advocates has recognized him as being among the top 1% of all attorneys, and The National Trial Lawyers, Rue Ratings, and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum has recognized him among the nation’s top trial lawyers. Avvo has also rated Tom a Perfect 10: Superb, named him a Top Personal Injury Attorney and Top Car Accident Attorney, and awarded him the “Clients’ Choice Award” for his tireless dedication to his clientele.
Many of Tom's cases have been featured by local, national, and international news outlets, including Fox News, ABC News, CBS News, CNN, MSNBC, Inside Edition, The Associated Press, The Los Angeles Times, The Philadelphia Inquirer, The London Times, The Daily Mail (United Kingdom), and countless law blogs. One such case, a police brutality claim against the City of Philadelphia, resulted in $490,000 settlement and the City launching a massive investigation into its use of Emergency Patrol Wagons and the manner in which detainees are transported.
In addition to his trial practice, Tom teaches trial strategy and technology at Temple University School of Law's prestigious LL.M. in Trial Advocacy program, where he earned his Master's Degree in trial law (with honors) in 2014.
Tom began his legal career prosecuting criminals and protecting victims’ rights with the Montgomery County (Pennsylvania) District Attorney’s Office. He thereafter spent several years working for the insurance companies, defending their insureds who hurt others in car accidents, slip and fall accidents, and work accidents. That work, however, was very unsatisfying, because of which he redirected his efforts to helping those hurt by others. (See our Notable Victories page.).
Outside the courtroom, Tom is a devoted husband to Maria and dad to Jude, Abby, and Penny. He enjoys coaching little league, hosting magical imaginary tea parties, and otherwise playing with his kids. He's the world's “#1 Dad,” as voted by his kids, for which honor he received the world's greatest homemade trophy from his 4-year old daughter, Abby. He’s also an avid sports fan, particularly baseball, and still plays competitive men’s slow-pitch softball. As the manager and power-hitting first baseman, he helped his team win the Pennsylvania state championship, and finish 9th at the national championship, in 2014.
Tom is also a published author. His first book (Got Hurt? Forget the Silly Lawyer Ads....) is a how-to guide to finding the right lawyer for your case (even if it's not Tom). And his second book (Car Accident? What the #&@! is Limited Tort?) explains the basic concepts of limited tort insurance coverage and how it affects a Pennsylvania car accident claim. Tom is actively writing several other books on the law, and hopes to eventually write a novel.
Tom is licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Awards and Recognition
- Top 10 in Pennsylvania (National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys)
- Top 10 in Pennsylvania (American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys)
- Top 10 in Pennsylvania (American Jurist Institute)
- Top 40 Under 40 (National Trial Lawyers)
- Top 2.5% Younger than 40 (SuperLawyers: Rising Star)
- Top 1% in Pennsylvania (National League of Renowned Attorneys)
- Top 1% in Pennsylvania (Distinguished Justice Advocates)
- Top Trial Lawyers in America (Million Dollar Advocates Forum)
- Top 100 Trial Attorneys (National Trial Lawyers)
- Premier 100 Trial Attorneys (American Academy of Trial Attorneys)
- Top 100 (America's Top 100 Lawyers)
- Best Attorneys of America (Rue Ratings)
- Top Personal Injury Attorney (Avvo)
- Top Car Accident Attorney (Avvo)
- Perfect 10: Superb (Avvo)
- Clients' Choice (Avvo)
- Master's Degree (LL.M.) in Trial Advocacy: Temple University School of Law
- With Honors
- Juris Doctor: Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Award for Excellence in Appellate Advocacy
- Bachelor of Arts: Bloomsburg University
- Political Science National Honor Society
- Teaching Assistant: Constitutional Law
- Teaching Assistant: Policical Science