If you or a loved one have been injured in a head-on accident, you may need to fight for every dollar that you get in financial compensation. If not, you would not get all the money that you deserve.
One of your first calls after a serious head-on collision should be to an experienced Philadelphia car accident lawyer. Gibbons Legal is the tough advocate that you need by your side throughout the legal process. Call us today to speak to a head-on car accident lawyer.
Why Head-On Car Accidents Are So Dangerous
Head-on accidents are the most dangerous type of crash. Usually, the force involved in the crash is equal to the combined speed of the two vehicles.
For example, if the crash happened when both cars were driving at 30 miles per hour, the force would be that of a 60 MPH crash. The reason why there is such force is that the impact of the crash is sufficient to stop each vehicle in its tracks. All of the force is then transferred to your body, causing you to snap violently forward.
Causes of Head-On Collisions
A head-on crash usually happens when one vehicle is where it is not supposed to be on the roadway. The other driver has little to no chance of avoiding the accident because they are taken by surprise.
Common causes of head-on accidents include:
- Distracted driving puts the motorist in the wrong place or lane
- Reckless driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued drivers falling asleep or losing focus for a few seconds
- Lack of familiarity with surroundings and traffic patterns
It goes without saying that a head-on collision should never happen. The driver who was in the wrong place should be the one responsible for the crash. However, it may not always be apparent (or immediately provable) who was in the wrong place.
Head-On Car Crash Accident Injuries
Many drivers will suffer some type of injury in head-on crashes. Given the physics and the force exerted in the crash, these injuries tend to be severe.
Head-on crashes comprise only 2% of the total number of car accidents. However, these crashes cause one in every ten fatalities.
Head-on accidents can be catastrophic because the:
- Airbag will deploy forcefully and violently
- Front end of the car may collapse completely
- Body may violently fly forward
- Driver or a passenger may slam into the steering wheel or dashboard
- Force of the crash could throw a driver or occupant from the car
Head-On Car Accident Damages
Head-on car accidents can result in:
- Head and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
If your family has lost a loved one in a fatal head-on car accident, you would be able to file a wrongful death claim against the responsible driver or their estate if they also passed away.
The first part of a wrongful death case is proving that the other driver was to blame for the crash. You would certainly need a lawyer to investigate the accident because so much leading up to the head-on collision could be unapparent.
After you prove fault, you would be entitled to financial compensation that measures your family’s loss when a loved one passes away. Wrongful death damages include the following:
- Wages that the family member would have earned from their job
- Loss of the guidance and support that the loved one provided
- Loss of the close loving relationship with the deceased person
- Loss of household services that the deceased person performed
Wrongful death damages can be considerable. There are no damage caps in Pennsylvania (other than in medical malpractice cases) that are usually available in a fatal crash.
Factors That Affect Your Head-On Car Accident Settlement
For survivors, a head-on car accident settlement is tied to the severity of your injuries. You are legally entitled to be paid for both your economic and non-economic damages that result from your crash. The following could impact your settlement check:
- How much you were earning before the accident and the amount of work time you will miss
- Your past and future medical bills
- The extent of your physical and emotional pain
- The life that you had before the accident that you no longer may be able to enjoy
One of our attorneys would be able to help you by putting a number on your case. If you do not know how much your case is worth, you may be vulnerable when the insurance company persistently offers you less than you deserve in a settlement offer.
How a Head-On Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
Below is what we can do for you after you have been injured in a head-on car accident:
- Gather evidence that can prove the other driver was responsible for the crash
- Review your situation to estimate the damages that you are seeking
- File an insurance claim or a lawsuit against the responsible driver
- Negotiate a head-on car accident settlement that would fully pay you for your injuries
It is vital that your settlement check is large enough to cover all of your damages. An experienced attorney would know how much your claim is worth and then stand up to the insurance company when they try to stand in your way. If you try to approach the insurance company on your own, it will not go well for you, costing you money that you and your family need in the future.
Get Legal Help from a Philadelphia Head-On Car Accident Lawyer Today
Call Gibbons Legal when you need a fighter. Insurance companies fear us because they know that we diligently pursue compensation for our clients until the very end. They know that they cannot get away with taking liberties with your rights.
You can begin the legal process by speaking with a lawyer in a free consultation. Call us today at 215-274-0173 or begin the conversation with us online. It costs you nothing to speak with an attorney, and you do not need to pay us until you get money from your case.